- palm oil area in Malaysia is 47 million hectares.
- contribute for almost 5 percent of world's palm oil production.
- 86 million tonnes of fresh fruit bunch (FFB) are processed annually.
- produce around 17 million tons of biomass in the form of empty fruit bunch (EFB) and 52 million tons of palm oil mill effluents (POME) as waste by-products.
- power generation through palm oil biomass is an ineffective means.
- the unit cost of power generation using EFB is estimated to be between RM10 million and RM12 million per megawatt compared with a coal power plant, which is only RM3 million to RM4 million per megawatt.
Source - R.E.S / NST.